Friday, January 16, 2015

[Macau] Taisho Japanese BBQ (大將日式燒烤)

Happy 2015!  I celebrated the new year with my friends at Taisho (大將) this year.  It is an all-you-can-eat Japanese BBQ restaurant, which is both affordable and delicious.  It's been around for more than a full year now (June 2013) and I can't believe it is only my first visit.  What took me so long?

IMG_1316

This place reminds me of Heat BBQ a lot.  Originally, I was going to Heat but when I called for reservation, they told me they are renovating (again!?) so we opted for Taisho instead.  In fact, 2 of my friends from different social circle recommended this restaurant to me and I am glad I took their recommendation.  Yes, it still has its flaws, e.g. you'll never sit down at your reserved hour - we got a 8:30 pm reservation on a Saturday, didn't sit down until 8:50 pm.  Also, let's be honest, you are not getting A5 wagyu here.  Common, you are only paying MOP$205 +10% service charge per person, and that includes all the food and drinks (including beer).

IMG_1317

The owners have obviously spent a lot of time in the interior design of the restaurant.  If I felt like I am transported to Taiwan at Heat, I felt like I am in Japan here.  Service was a little slow and the staff are not on beat 100% of the time but we all know the labor situation in Macau (i.e. 2% unemployment among all Macau resident at working age) so I have to cut them a little slack.  (I am more lenient when I am dining at family-owned restaurants and other small businesses.)  Plus, all my food is on my table pretty much within the first 30 minutes after we sat down and the guys are reasonably friendly.

IMG_1320
IMG_1324
IMG_1321
IMG_1322
IMG_1342

The menu is vast.  Be careful when you place your order because they give you a lot of food.  I saw a lot of leftover at the other tables and felt awful.  We had some leftover in the end at our table too but I really did what I could to finish everything.  So please - order only what you can finish.  Just because it is all-you-can-eat doesn't mean you should be wasting food.  (No, they don't charge you extra for wastage, yet.) I honestly wish they just give me a slice per person on what we ordered.  We can always order more if we like it but the other customers may not agree?

IMG_1329
IMG_1334
IMG_1344
IMG_1331
IMG_1335
IMG_1346
IMG_1337
IMG_1339
IMG_1345
IMG_1340
IMG_1341
IMG_1343
IMG_1347
Compared to the soba, I prefer their rice balls!
(I ate them before I remember to take a picture. LOL)
IMG_1348
IMG_1350
IMG_1351
Grilled bananas with chocolate syrup
IMG_1353

Among the different items we tried, I enjoyed the beef tongue and vegetables the most.  The scallops were very fresh as well.  The most interesting item had to be the grilled bananas in chocolate sauce.  I am not sure what to make of it but I probably won't order it again next time.  Not because it wasn't good (as in fresh) but it just wasn't my thing. 

In addition to Taisho, I am surprised to find a lot of new restaurants in the area.  (It's a relatively new residential area, which I don't often go.)  I already told my friends we need to go out and discover more of these new places instead of going back to our favorites ordering the usual.

筷子基北街綠楊花園461號地下J鋪 (於皇宮船斜對面)
Tel: 63742121
Hours: 18:00 - 03:00
Limit to 2 hours per table.  Reservations recommended. 

Tip: I recommend the 8:30 pm sitting because if you come at 6:30 pm, you will need to leave by 8:30 / 9 pm.  However, if you come for the 8:30 pm sitting, you can generally stay as long as you want since there aren't many people going to eat their dinner at 10:30 pm.  With that said, if you don't want to spend another 30 minutes waiting for your table, you might want to come for the 6:30 pm sitting.  Arrive a little earlier and your table should be ready for you right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...