Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Delta Grill

Having spent a good number of years living in the south, I love and missed comfort food, despite the calories.  In fact, I have been craving some good chicken fried steak/chicken loaded with gravy, beef briskets, fried okras, corn bread, and peach cobblers for some time.

Since I know I can't find any good southern restaurant in Chicago, I searched long and hard for a good one as a parting meal before I leave NYC.  (Unfortunately, I have no business in the south this trip.)  And that's the back-story of how I ended up at The Delta Grill.

P1520665


The restaurant is actually a Cajun/creole restaurant.  It serves gumbo, jambalayas, po'boys, etc., which I love and they also have chicken fried steak on the menu.

P1520666
P1520664

The food was unfortunately not very good.  I was actually quite disappointed but expected in a way.  You have to go South for real comfort food.

P1520667
Corn bread

Although the bread is warm, I can't really taste the corn flavor.
It's definitely made from the box.
P1520670
Crawfish Popcorn

Winter is not the season for crawfish so I guess I only have myself to blame for this one.
(But I really want crawfish!!!)
P1520674
Chicken and Smoked Pork Andouille Gumbo

Not only it was too thick, it was also too peppery.
It tastes like leftovers they are desperately trying to sell!
P1520671
Chicken Fried Steak

The reason why I came and yet the biggest disappointment.
The steak was warm and soggy and soaked in gravy.
Yes, usually chicken fried steak came soaked but at least the steak is super hot and crispy in those cases.
The meat was also too tough and difficult to slice through.
The only thing I finished on this plate was the stir fried veggies.

Alas we have a good busboy!

The Delta Grill
700 9th Ave  New York, NY 10036
Tel: +1 (212) 956-0934
Hours: (Lunch) (Mon-Fri) 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm; (Brunch) (Sat/Sun) 10:30 am - 3:30 pm; (Dinner) (Sun/Mon) all day until 11:00 pm; (Tue-Thu) all day to midnight (Fri/Sat) until 1:30 am

Delta Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...