Saturday, May 3, 2014

Menkui Tei

It's a misnomer that eating out in NYC is expensive.  Of course, it's home to many world's best and Michelin-starred restaurants.  However, there are many cheap eats to moderately priced restaurants in town also.  NYC caters to every budget :)

P1500591

I remembered the first time I went to Menkuitei was a rush lunch right before I need to head out to the airport after packing a last minute visit to Central Park to an already tight schedule.  My brother and I literally had to swallow the ramen... hahaha!  Nevertheless, I thought their ramen was better than some other more famous ramen shops and I really enjoyed their curry rice! So I brought my mom back for dinner this time.

P1500578

The line wasn't horribly long and we were sitted promptly.  In addition to the ramen and curry rice, I also ordered grilled saba (my mom became really fond of grilled fish after her experience at Inakaya), oden, tempura, and of course, draft Sapporo beer to wash everything down! 

P1500579
P1500581
The broth is tasty and the fish cake is delicious.
I love how they cut the radish.
P1500582
Saba has a very distinctive flavor and my mom found it offputting at first
(it's charred and she didn't like the smell)
She turned out really liking it!
She even asked me to buy some saba fillet to grill it at home afterwards!

P1500584
Unfortunately, you can't compare this tempura to the one from Inakaya...
But, I can't be picky since this is a ramen shop.

P1500588
I think I got the original Menkui Ramen
It comes in a clear salt based broth
Although I generally prefer the heavy tonkatsu based ramens,
I found this one very refreshing.
P1500586
Probably the best curry rice I had at a ramen shop
The combination of the ginger, curry, and rice is just heavenly.
I would come here just for their curry rice alone.  :)

Menkei Tei
60 W 56th St, New York, NY 10019
Tel: +1 (212) 228-4152
Hours: M-F 11:30 AM - 11::00 PM; Sat/Sun 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Menkui Tei on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...