Saturday, November 9, 2013

Brickhouse

One of the things I miss much since I moved back to Asia is believe-it-or-not, Mexican food.  It's been so hard to find good tacos here!  I have been hunting for good Mexican food since and then I found Brickhouse!

Untitled


A little restaurant hidden in a back alley in LKF.  It was hard to find if you don't know where to look.  It gets busy very quickly though and they don't take reservations... so it's critical to get there early!  I went there for the first time for my birthday this year but sadly, since we arrived so late, the main kitchen is already closed so we only tried the tacos and the tortilla chips... (by the way, the margarita here is excellent!)  

I vouched I will return for a proper dinner and I did.  They also serve horchata - how many years has it been since I last had a horchata!?  The one is not very good in my opinion but at least they have it!  *happy dance*

Untitled
Untitled
Mexican Street Corn

Some of us were a fan and others were not.
I am kind of in the middle.  The cheese was a little weird for me.
I guess I prefer my corn grilled as is, maybe with some soy sauce?
Untitled
Watermelon Salad

A dish I wanted to try ever since I saw it on the menu and I wasn't disappointed
I wonder if they soaked the watermelon in syrup but it's so sweet!
the pepper powder and feta cheese definitely add a nice twist to it.
Untitled
Beet Fries

One of my friends loves beet roots so I ordered this
My friend loved it and I actually liked it a lot myself too.
However, beets do have a distinctive taste and I can see how it may not be for everyone.
Untitled
Tacos platter - two carne asada and one fish
I still think the place my friend took me to in Salt Lake City has the best fish tacos in recent memory.
Untitled
Fish Taco up close and personal :)
Untitled
The Bone Marrow Taco

Another dish that got mixed reviews at our table.
I found it too greasy and weird.  It's like popping a lump of fat into my mouth.
I am not a fan but one of my friends said it was ok.

Overall, I am pleased with the food (it is tasty) but I have to say it's a little too expensive for what it is.  (HKD70 for a beef taco?  Really?)  I guess I have always equate tacos with Panda express and it's a college student's best friend (cheap, filling, and delicious).  I didn't like that I have a pay a premium on a taco.  So, the search will continue...  (I have yet to find the tamale in Hong Kong!!!)

G/F, 20A D'Aguilar St, Central & Western 852 Hong Kong
No phone number no reservations!
Hours:  Mon - Wed6:00 pm - 2:00 am; Thu - Sat6:00 pm - 4:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...