Sunday, June 23, 2013

Lemon Barley Water (檸檬薏米水)

A cool, refreshing drink is always welcome in the summer.  Barley water is one of the popular summer drinks here.  It's supposed to increase your metabolism and brighten your skin tones.  It is also thirst-quenching!

At first I thought it's a traditional drink consumed in China.  Then I realized it's enjoyed in many parts on earth.  I preferred mine unsweetened (since I drink it like water), adding lemon juice for more flavor occasionally.  

Untitled
This is sweetened ginger barley water (hot)
from Chee Kee (池記) @ Langham Place (朗豪坊)



Below is one of the many ways to prepare barley water.  My mom is making it pitcher after pitcher this summer.  I think it's best served cold with ice!

Ingredients:

30g raw barley
30g cooked barley
60g rocked sugar (optional)
1 lemon (optional)

Directions:


1.  Rinse the barley thoroughly.  Boil the barley over high heat in a pot of water until boiling, then reduce to low heat and cook for an hour.

2.  Let cool, add lemon slices.  Can be served immediately or refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...