Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chasing Sakura - Japan (5) - Kanazawa: Omicho Ichiba (近江町市場)

Similar to Nishiki-Ichiba (錦市場) in Kyoto and Kuromo-Ichiba (黑門市場) in Osaka, Omicho Ichiba (近江町市場) is the fresh market in Kanazawa.  It's always fun to visit fresh markets at a new city, we loved it so much we went there 2 days in a row.

The market is conveniently located near Musashi no Tsuji (武藏之辻), about 20 minutes by walk from our hostel.  It's larger than Nishiki but smaller compared to Kuromo.  The produce is fresh and the selection is huge.  We didn't buy any produce but we tried a variety of snacks - from fresh fruits to seafood for sashimi.   it's a feast to the eyes as well as the tummy!


Untitled
Untitled
Normally cooked crabs are orange but these I don't know...
Untitled
Untitled
Can you imagine eating a whole box of these by yourself?
Untitled
So fresh!  And the best part?  It doesn't smell!
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
still smoking?
Untitled
Untitled
These are my favorite!  Perfect when grilled over charcoal.
Too bad I didn't get any as I don't think they would last in my suitcase :(
Untitled
Untitled
Dazzling!

***眼花獠亂***
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
The beans we had at the izakaya in Kyoto!
Untitled
We bought strawberries from a few different stalls
Although prices are comparable, some of them still taste better than the others!
Untitled
The strawberries from this store were the best!
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Pet fish???

One of our mission in Kanazawa is to indulge in the cheap and delicious sushi / sashimi.  Omicho did not disappoint and we had a hard time deciding on the restaurant we wanted to try!  We ended up going to Ji mono-tei (じもの亭) and Mori Mori Sushi (もりもり寿し 近江町店) for lunch and tried various kinds of snacks (see below).  When I return to Kanazawa next time, I want to try the Omicho Diner (近江町食堂).  (I only found out it was popular after we came back from our trip! :'( )  Oh well, next time!


Untitled
Poster, you got my attention!
Untitled
Oysters which are the size of my hand!
(and I have big hands!)
Untitled
Oysters for every budget!
Untitled
Untitled
My only complaint:  Japanese are too clean...
I want my oyster juice!  No power wash my oysters!
肥美~
Sooooo delicious!!!
Untitled
Yummy grilled fish~  Perfect as snacks!
Untitled
Sashimi on the go~
Untitled
We ate these on the spot, right before lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...