Thursday, December 27, 2012

Macau Series (7) - Parade through Macao, Latin City

On random day in December, I noticed this strange voodoo looking doll at the plaza on my daily walking route.  It looks so grotesque I had to ask my friends what it was and what it was for - it's a prop used in the Parade Through Macau, Latin City (澳門拉丁城區幻彩大巡遊)... OKAY!!!

Untitled
Untitled
I think you have to agree with me this thing is pretty creepy...

In case you didn't know, December 20th is a public holiday in Macau.  (To commemorate
the transfer of sovereignty of Macau from the Portuguese Republic to the People's Republic of China (PRC) occurred on 20 December 1999.)  So why the Cultural Affairs Bureau would choose to display a voodoo doll that's more appropriate for Halloween is beyond me... Anyways, here's an official description of the event:
An annual celebration for the entire city – VIVA! Let's come to join《Parade through Macao, Latin City》on Dec 20!

The “Parade through Macao, Latin City” is a cultural event that unfolds as a procession through the streets of Macao. Created in 2011, the Parade is held annually on December 20th to mark the anniversary of Macao’s Handover to China. Every year, several foreign performing groups as well as hundreds of talented local artists are invited to be creative participants. They lead the residents and tourists on this adventure through Macao’s streets and alleyways and bring songs and dances to the city’s historical quarters. The Parade, which highlights Macao’s unique cultural features and the City’s multicultural atmosphere, culminates in a grand joint performance in which the artists present dazzlingly colourful performances, bringing the celebration of this joyous occasion to a vivid climax. 
In the name of art, anything is okay... I guess...  Don't get me wrong... I appreciate art and culture but that voodoo doll really knock me out cold.

Originally, I intended to watch the parade but was invited by my friend to go see Eason Chan's concert at the Macau Stadium (her friend backed out last minute so she had an extra ticket!)  (There was a lot of activities in Macau that day so it's hard to be everywhere!!)  Eason is great as usual~

Untitled
MOP50 for Macau citizens
(but you have to buy the tickets a few months in advance and there is a ridiculous queue)
I wouldn't have gone if my friend didn't have an extra ticket!
Untitled
so many people!
Untitled
Hi Eason!
A family friend invited me for dinner and they actually lived nearby the plaza where the show took place so I was lucky enough to catch parts of the show live.  Here are some pictures~

Untitled
I think the show just started...
Untitled
so crowded... I stood right by one of the entrances and waited until they let people in.
It wasn't too bad actually... I have been to worse...
Untitled
you can still actually see from the entrance
Untitled
Untitled
he reminds me of the ice queen of Narnia
Untitled
Untitled
the face of the kid in yellow, priceless :)
Untitled
but he actually smiles :)
Untitled
Untitled
the voodoo door!!! looks even more like a funeral hall with the two white cloth hanging on the sides!!!
Untitled
Untitled
the stage is the other way...
(there is a big screen in front of them)
Untitled
Untitled
so there are two girls that climbed to the top and rolled themselves up with the cloth
it's part of their performance...
Untitled
Untitled
this is actually a library!  how come I didn't think of that?!
guaranteed good views and no crowd (now the secrets are out it will be crowded next year)
The event is free to the public as long as you can beat the crowd to get in...  Otherwise, it's televised live as well...  I actually watched the part of the voodoo doll on TV at my friend's house.  I still don't like the doll but the show is great!  Maybe next year, I will attend the entire event - parade and all.

P.S.  I walked pass the plaza again tonight and caught the "voodoo" show live.  I think it's the last night  (26th) for the re-run.  A lot less people tonight so it was much better... I still think the face paint is queer though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...