Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas in Hong Kong

I went to Hong Kong for a 4-day trip to visit my friends right before Christmas. December is a good time to go to Hong Kong as the weather is nice, Christmas decoration is out, and there are usually good sales.  The downside is everywhere you go, there is a TON of people.

Since I took a lot of pictures as usual, I am going to do a condensed summary with a few highlights in separate posts (Note: this post will be updated with links later) so it won't be so overwhelming to read everything at once... my friends always ask if I am writing a novel... let me know if you like this format better...

Day 1 - Took the 1030 ferry, met up with my friend for lunch in NoHo, went shopping in Central in the afternoon, and met up with another friend for afternoon tea at Mandarin Oriental. 
As it was winter solstice, I joined her family for dinner at a nice Chinese restaurant.  People actually says winter solstice is actually more important than Chinese New Year.  ("冬至大過年~")

I wouldn't know... as my family is not huge on celebrating these sort of things... LOL!!!  (That's how I could get away with not eating dinner with my family and went to Hong Kong instead.)  The only thing I know is that people normally would eat  dumplings on this day...  both the regular pork dumplings (餃子) and the sweet ones (湯丸)...

Untitled
tomato based beef macaroni with an egg (lunch)
Untitled
firemen at work
Untitled
that takes skills!
Untitled
afternoon tea set for one @ Mandarin Cake Shop

Interesting fact:  Among all major Chinese communities, Macau is the only place where Winter Solstice is a public holiday.


Day 2 - Joined my friend and her family again for breakfast at a local cafe.  Head out to Causeway Bay (CWB) and took a bus to Stanley and spent most of the afternoon there.  Went back to CWB for a little shopping and met up with a friend for sushi dinner at Sen-ryo (one of my favorites and my friend was converted, he went back there for dinner the next two nights in a row,,,) in Times Square!   


Untitled
lunch at Main Street, Stanley
Untitled
Stanley Market
Untitled
sushi dinner @ Sen-ryo, Times Square
Untitled
lucky draw prize @ Times Square
Untitled
a very popular desserts place according to my friend

Side note:  Loved the Lego themed Christmas decoration at Times Square!  Click here!

Untitled

Day 3 - Splurged on lunch today at L'atelierde Joël Robuchon.  The bread was our favorite!
 
Untitled
everyone loved the bread basket @ Robuchon
Untitled
L‘atelier
Untitled
we were tempted to buy a box of Robuchon's macaroons, just to compared with Laduree's
but we were too full.

Lunch was followed by Ladurée (it just opened on December 1, 2012!)... spent an hour in queue... OMG!!!  

Untitled
I've seen food trucks... but 7-11 trucks too???
Untitled
Xmas carol-ing
Untitled
Laduree's macaroons
Untitled
too tired - we decided to take a coffee break
(love their breads!)

Checked out the Christmas decorations at Harbor City and Heritage 1881 - loved them!  At this point, we were so tired and full from all the eating and walking the past few days, we opted for a very simple dinner at home (water cress, tofu, lean meat, and glass noodles).  


Untitled
@ Harbour City

Untitled
@ Heritage 1881
Untitled
detox dinner!

Day 4 - Picked up my welcome gift from my credit card company.  Honestly, this company should offer pick up in their Macau branch or free shipping as the box is hugeThe fact that they expect their customers to pick the box up themselves is ridiculous and my friend said I should write them a complaint letter... 


Untitled
it's the size of my suitcase!!!
what kind of customer service is this?

Had lunch at Butao Ramen (豚王) (the line took 45 minutes).  Walked around SoHo and LKF area afterwardsI think I am growing too old for LKF at night since it has become too pretentious and crowded.  I would rather sleep early these days.   

Untitled
the "limited" (限定王) - a bowl of spicy goodness!
Untitled
cute boots :D
Untitled
LKF
Untitled
a very adorable cat that loves to be petted
Untitled
it's so cold, even the A&F hotties need to wear a coat!

Bought some tea from TWG and helped my friend picked up her huge rose bouquet for her mom's birthday from agnes b at IFC...  Rushed back to the ferry terminal for our 1645 ferry...

Untitled
1837 Black Tea & Earl Grey d'Amour
(I liked the French Earl Grey so I asked the staff to recommend me something similar but yet different)
Untitled
flowers for my friend's mom's birthday...
I asked to be credited for my part in the delivery... lol!

Went to see the Nutcracker (the Chinese version) performed by the National Ballet of China at Venetian Macau at 1945. I am not sure I liked the Chinese version Nutcracker at all... I was so confused with the Chinese elements added to the ballet... It's like listening to Chinese Opera in English...


Untitled

As usual, my holidays are usually more intense compared to my work days...  At least I had a lot of fun!  Hope y'all are having a great holiday as well~  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...