Thursday, November 29, 2012

Traveling Solo - Japan (7)

Day 5:  My spirits dampen as I woke up and found that it was raining outside.  (It was the only day it rained during my entire 9-day trip so lucky me actually.)  I decided to save Tofukuji to another day but stick to my plan to visit Uji and Fushimi.

Untitled
Untitled

After a relaxing breakfast at the hostel, I borrowed an umbrella and walked towards Tofukuji Station.  Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's the day after 2 major festivals, or maybe it's simply because it's Tuesday, the road was quiet and the 15-minute walk felt long and dreary.  That's when sunflowers and the scent of kinmokusei came to rescue.  Hehe!

Untitled
curry fried bun
 Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
I took the picture when I returned from Fushimi but the fragrant is just the same if not stronger
The train ride to Uji is uneventful and quiet.  Uji was even quieter.  I was almost sad until it finally dawned on me that the rain has set the perfect mood for my visit.  Afterall, the last ten chapters of the Tale of Genji are set in Uji.  (For the record, I only read the comic version by Waki Yamato.)

Untitled
these value tickets are a great way to plan where to visit when you are in Japan
Untitled
Untitled
The statue of the author of the Tale of Genji
Untitled

Other than the Tale of Genji, Uji is nationally famous for its green tea.  Naturally, my first stop of the day is Itohkyuemon (伊藤久右衛門).  I tried the different types of tea and ended up buying all of them and more.  I can't leave without a box of the green tea kit-kat right?  (They actually sell it in a lot of place but I am an "origins" fan, i.e. I want to buy my Uji tea in Uji, not in Kyoto, even if they are from the same store and it's exactly the same thing.)  As I walked out the store, I knew if I am going to blow my budget, today will be the day.

Untitled
Untitled
The sales lady at Itohkyuemon is so nice and helpful
Untitled
my rain-proof shopping bag!
I slowly made my way to Uji Jinja and Ujigami Jinja but skipped the Tale of Genji Museum.  I guess I didn't love the book enough (it's basically a story on the life and affairs of a ridiculously good-looking jerk aristocrat from the Imperial family). 

Untitled
The residence along the historical district of Uji is very nice.
You can see they have put much effort in decorating their gardens.
Untitled
Uji Jinja
Untitled
a priest getting ready to perform a service
Untitled
Untitled
Ujigami Jinja
Untitled
Untitled

The Uji Bridge over the Uji River is very pretty and like I said before, the rainy weather was perfect for Uji.

Untitled
Untitled
I just stood there and enjoyed the view for like 30 minutes... in the rain...
Untitled
Untitled

Although the Phoenix Hall at Byodoin Temple is undergoing major restoration from September 2012 to March 2014, I think the Museum alone is worth the visit.  Byodoin was also originally a villa to Minamoto no Shigenobu and purchased by the most powerful member of the Fujiwara clan, Fujiwara no Michinaga.  It was converted into a Buddhist temple by Fjuiwara no Yorimichi. 

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
the Japanese are serious about their restoration...
The temple ground is huge so I was amazed by the power the Fujiwara clan had back then since the villa used to be 50% of the entire town of current Uji.  The image of the Phoenix Hall is also featured on the 10 yen coin and 10,000 yen note.

Untitled
the museum hallway
Untitled
The family tree of Fujiwara no Michinaga.
He married princesses and his daughters married the emperors.
That's the way to stay in the power game I guess...


Untitled

After Byodoin, I walked to Tokichi for lunch.  There is a Tokichi near Byodoino too but I went to the main store.  I was promptly seated and I ordered the herring soba with the green tea dessert set.  The soba wasn't as good as compared to the one I had in Arashiyama but the dessert made up for it!  Most people came just for the dessert.

Untitled
shopping street outside Byodoin
Untitled
Untitled
Shogun drinks their tea too - or so it's advertised...
Untitled
Tokichi Honten
Untitled
the garden outside the cafe
Untitled
Untitled
herring green tea soba
Untitled
green tea jelly, mochi, red bean paste and green tea ice cream - in a frozen bamboo container
only available at the "honten" (head office).
Untitled
"light" matcha, with dark chocolate
Untitled
the crowd that came for desserts
Untitled
the tasting area in the tea shop
feels more casual than Itohkyuemon

I walked back to the Keihan Uji station and enjoyed my view of the Uji River one last time before heading over to Fushimi.

Untitled
The pelicans are experts in catching fish.
There is a festival in the summer (mid-June to late-September) that actually shows how fishermen uses these birds to catch fish.
Untitled
so pretty~~
Although written with different characters now, the name Fushimi (which used to be its own "town") originally comes from fusu + mizu, meaning "hidden water" or "underground water". In other words, the location was known for good spring water. The water of Fushimi has particularly soft characteristics, making it an essential component to the particular type of sake brewed in Fushimi. This also explains why the area developed as a sake-brewing center in Kyoto. Today, Fushimi is the second greatest area of Japan in terms of sake production, and is where the sake company Gekkeikan was founded.
Untitled
this is a display at the train station
Naturally, my next stop is Gekkeikan Okura Sake Museum.  Since I couldn't make an advance reservation, I was unable to visit the "月桂冠酒香房".  Bummer!  I wish I could see how they actually make the sake.

Untitled
Gekkeikan Okura Sake Museum
Untitled
Untitled
Entrance free is JPY300 - you can a can of sake, and free tasting of 3 different typs of sake.
you also get the postcard if you show them your value ticket.
Untitled
one of the equipment used in the cooking of sake
I got one of the limited sakes they sell at the museum and the cashier keep checking with me to make sure I understand this sake needs to be refrigerated and confirmed within 2 weeks of purchase before she would sell it to me.  Needless to say, it was one of the first things consumed when I returned from my trip!  In my opinion, it is a very good quality sake - very smooth and fragrant!  My friends thought it was a bit strong though.

Untitled
Untitled

The other tourist attraction is the Teradaya Inn, where Ryoma Sakamoto was attacked and injured.  It was also where his future wife, Ryo Narasaki, saved his life. 

Untitled
Ryoma Sakamoto - also a display at the train station
Untitled
Teradaya Inn
Untitled
another well-known sake brewery
Untitled
A yakitori place I wanted to try but didn't coz I wasn't hungry :(
Untitled
another sake place next to the yakitori restaurant
Untitled
It caught my attention when everyone lined up for the water
Untitled
so the water is famous...
Untitled
of course, I have to get myself a bottle...
it was really good quality water so I went back later before I leave for more!
Untitled
old fashion cigarette store... i wonder how many of these are still around
Untitled
the shopping street is so modern I almost can't make the connection
Untitled
hehehe... Momofuku... (I am thinking the Momofuku in NYC)
Untitled
takoyaki vendor
Untitled
a sake shop, which also offers tasting
unfortunately, they are closed on Tuesdays :(
Similar to Kibune and Kurama, Uji and Fushimi are quite small.  Since I was pretty tired, I had an early dinner at Genya.  After shopping at Aeon for dinner #2 (just in case), I returned to the hostel.  Thinking back, I should have visited Kodaiji in the evening.  Oh well...

Untitled
Genya
Untitled
spicy sake ramen
Untitled
My guess is Aeon has super sales every Tuesday.
It felt like the whole town was there but the deal is unbeatable!
Untitled
I picked up a mochi dessert from there for later too :)
Shopping of the day:

Untitled
my teas, sakes, and snacks
Untitled
all bought from Aeon (except the mochi)
Untitled
for my body aches and tired feet... I felt old... :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...