Friday, April 22, 2011

Shrimp Etouffee

when I can't eat, all I can think about obviously, was what I should eat when I am well again... I think I will make a trip down to New Orleans soon... because I am craving for good Cajun / Creole food... actually... I am just craving crawfish :P

I had this awesome crawfish etouffee at Hot n Juicy in DC a few weeks ago and I have been craving it ever since... I googled all over the internet hoping to find some crawfish in Chicago but I was very disappointed... there is no restaurant that sells whole crawfish, no grocery store that sells crawfish by the pound, and the number of Cajun restaurants that actually serve etouffee just makes me sad.  (I could have bought some online but I have to order at least 10 pounds and they are live... my kitchen is simply not equipped for a proper crawfish boil...)  Alas, no crawfish!!  So I settled for some shrimp etouffee instead... (but even the quality of shrimps I can get here is depressing...)

After some more research on the Internet, I decided to make my shrimp etouffee using this recipe with some modifications... the main changes really is substituting the shrimp for crawfish and I added some okra.  Next time I make this, I probably would add the okra 10 minutes in after making the rue... (unless you like your okra really soft... I generally prefer my veggies crunchy...)  I did add the shrimp 10-15 minutes before the dish is ready instead of adding when the video calls for it so the shrimp won't be overcooked... I also used the whole box of seafood stock (not sure how many cups there were) since my rue turned out really thick... (I am just glad the consistency turned out fantastic after I added the whole box)  Finally, I added dashes of seafood soy sauce, fish sauce, and kicked up the cayenne pepper (BAM!) 

So delicious!  I think I am happy now :)

all the ingredients!  the dicing and chopping literally took hours!
base without the shrimp yet :)

yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...